Welcome to the Rhode Island Chapter of the IMIA. The IMIA's goal is for all IMIA Chapters to flourish to meet all the needs of the members of each region. While the IMIA is international it believes in the 'Think Global, Act Local' motto. We will have periodic conference calls to allow members in this region to network and find ways to advance the profession together in the region. Please email your representative with ideas, issues, and topics that you think should be discussed. The IMIA believes that organizing an IMIA Symposium each year in each state should be a key goal of the Chapter. If you are willing to volunteer to assist, please let your representative know.
Mission of the Rhode Island IMIA Chapter:
In addition to the IMIA objectives, to serve the local Rhode Island medical interpreters regarding all professional needs. This Chapter also wants to provide orientation and training of new medical interpreters entering the field of interpretation in Rhode Island.
- Promote the advancement of the medical interpreting profession in RI
- To embrace all the medical interpreters in the state of RI
- To serve as a regional IMIA contact entity
- Provide updated information and news regarding the medical interpreting profession
- To empower interpreters
- To get feedback from medical interpreters
- Bring guest speakers and do related workshops in RI
- To advocate for the LEP population in RI and confirm that all hospitals in the state are following the mandated state law (to have medical interpreters available to non-English speaking patient at all times)
- Promote continuing education classes to improve and enhance the profession
- Quality improvement programs for interpreters
- Work with RI DHS around regulations and legislation
- Work with state labor agencies to promote the employment of qualified competent interpreters in all fields (medical, legal, business, conference)
- To act as an advertising/promotional entity that develops and promotes the profession as a bona fide profession.
- To have a category for this profession in the local employment agencies, national agencies, and other hiring institution/agencies
- Offer trainings on How to work with Interpreters to all RI's hospitals, Emergency Rooms, Health Centers, Nursing Homes and others
- Sponsor trainings such as Network Omni's Caring with CLAS in RI
- Do provider outreach in RI to engage other health care professionals with our work